The Ultimate Natural Remedy For Allergies

March 1, 2017

Allergies make me miserable, and they seem to get worse every year. But thankfully, I’ve found a natural remedy to get rid of the allergies completely!

The ultimate natural remedy for allergies is guaranteed to help you breathe better!

(This post may contain affiliate links. For my full disclosure policy, click here.)

For the past few years, I have struggled severely with allergies. I visited an allergist, started allergy shots, and was on 4 medications a day. Still, I was miserable.

After much debate, I finally decided to try essential oils, and within weeks, my allergies were cleared up. The special combination of oils that I use, combined with using nasal spray, has completely eliminated my allergy suffering!

What Kind Of Allergies Are We Talking About?

In this post, I am discussing seasonal allergies (hay fever), as well as allergies caused by animals, dust, and the like (also known as dander). To be clear, I am not discussing food allergies or severe allergic reactions.

If your allergies cause you to swell, break out in hives, or have other severe reactions, you need more of a treatment plan than I will discuss in this post. I am simply discussing the typical allergic reactions of congestion, runny nose, sneezing, itchy throat, and symptoms of that nature.

How Can Essential Oils Be Used To Treat Allergies?

My top oils to treat allergies are lemon, lavender, peppermint, tea tree, and eucalyptus.

For regular seasonal allergies, a mixture of lemon, lavender, and peppermint (LLP) gets the job done. You can fill a roller ball with 4 drops of each then fill to the top with a carrier oil (such as coconut oil), or you can do 2 to 4 drops of each in a diffuser then fill to the top with water. I carry a roller ball of LLP in my purse, Caleb takes one to work, and we diffuse at night when our allergies are particularly bad.

>>Shop for roller balls<<
>>Shop for a diffuser<<
>>Shop for coconut oil<<

For congestion or severe seasonal allergies, you can add 2 to 4 drops of tea tree and eucalyptus oil to your mixture. These oils are helpful in clearing out nasal congestion and throat drainage.

This ultimate  <a class=natural remedy for allergies is guaranteed to help you breathe better!” width=”500″ height=”750″ />

When using the roller ball, I like to apply them directly to the nasal passages, which includes forehead, cheeks, across the nose, and along the lymph nodes. I also roll it along the back of my neck and behind my ears. Wrists and ankles are another effective area to apply essential oils.

What Other Natural Remedies Can Be Used To Treat Allergies?

Another great natural remedy is Ocean Spray nasal spray. This nasal spray was highly recommended by my husband’s dentist to help reduce swelling in nasal passages, which naturally reduces allergies.

Unlike other nasal sprays on the market, the only ingredients in Ocean Spray are water and saline. The saline in Ocean Spray cleans your nasal passages by attacking the bacteria directly and killing it. After a few weeks of use, the buildup of bacteria in your nasal passages is cleared out, and your allergies should lessen (ours did!).

>>Shop for Ocean Spray nasal spray<<

A similar treatment to nasal spray is a Neti Pot. This pot is used to flush out your nasal passages with a saline solution. You can purchase premixed packets of saline solution to use in the Neti Pot or you can mix up your own sinus rinse solution.

The one drawback of a Neti Pot is that you MUST boil your water before use or use distilled water. When used properly, the end result should be the same as with the nasal spray: after a few weeks of use, your nasal passages should clear and you should began to feel relief with your allergies.

>>Shop for a Neti Pot<<

Have you tried this natural remedy for allergies? What other natural remedies have worked for you?

More natural remedies:

8 Natural Remedies For Headaches

Natural Remedies For Staph Infections

The Best Natural Remedy For Bug Bites

• Tawni

March 1, 2017 at 9:41 am

I loooooove my essential oils and really love seeing posts like these! It’s so incredible, all the many ways we can use essential oils.

March 1, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Me too, Tawni! They are truly incredible! Thank you! 🙂

• Sarah Althouse

March 1, 2017 at 10:14 am

Ooh i’ve definitely had congestion over the last week and not sure if it’s allergies or a cold but I have all these oils on hand and will definitely give a try!

March 1, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Give it a try, Sarah! You’ll definitely get some relief! 🙂

• Abby @ WinsteadWandering

March 1, 2017 at 10:41 am

We LOVE essential oils, and it makes me so happy to see people advocating for their safe use (not ingesting them, not applying them directly to the skin). We love nasal rinsing, too. My husband had chronic sinus infections for years, but he’s only had one in the three years he’s been rinsing.

March 1, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Thanks, Abby! 🙂 That’s an awesome testimony! And yes to the SAFE use of oils! That’s always the first priority!

• Leah

March 1, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Helps me every allergy season! Also love that you are recommending a safe dilution! Too many out there giving dangerous advice!

March 2, 2017 at 10:27 am

Thanks, Leah! 🙂 I’m definitely concerned with safety, and I never want to recommend anything that isn’t going to be safe for my readers! I’m so glad this has helped you!

• Divya

March 1, 2017 at 4:46 pm

That essential oil combo does the trick every single time! In fact, it’s the reason I got into essential oils in the first place!

March 2, 2017 at 10:27 am

Me too, Divya! It’s such a great combo!

• Becky @ Disney in your Day

March 1, 2017 at 7:07 pm

I definitely want to try some essential oils. I have peppermint for energy and it’s definitely helped so I need to try some others!

March 2, 2017 at 10:28 am

Peppermint is a great one to start with! I would recommend lemon, lavender, and tea tree oil next! 🙂

• Beth

March 1, 2017 at 9:38 pm

I have a lot of problems with my sinuses being congested. I don’t know if it is allergy related or not. I think I might give the oils a try, I don’t think they will hurt anything.

March 2, 2017 at 10:28 am

They definitely can’t hurt to try, Beth! 🙂 I hope you get some relief!

• Michelle

March 1, 2017 at 11:16 pm

This is great info and I look forward to trying it. I’ve suffered from allergies forever and the prescribed and over the counter things I’ve tried give me an irregular heartbeat – which I’m told isn’t harmful, but how can it be good? I look forward to this natural solution.

March 2, 2017 at 10:29 am

Oh yes, Michelle, definitely try this natural solution! Side effects like that are the reason I left traditional medicine, and I haven’t regretted it for a second! 🙂

• Wendy – Morning Business Chat

March 2, 2017 at 9:12 am

This is really useful, thank you. I love essential oils but never really put it together with helping allergies.

March 2, 2017 at 10:30 am

Thank you, Wendy! I’m glad it was helpful for you! 🙂

• Daria

March 2, 2017 at 9:54 am

Yay! I actually have all those oils! And the pollen is about to descend on us in NC. I will definitely try your recipe. Thanks!

March 2, 2017 at 10:30 am

That’s great, Daria! Definitely give it a try! 🙂

• Ana@CelebratingSunshine

March 2, 2017 at 10:24 am

I love essential oils, I believe in their healing power and I look for every opportunity to use them. I had no idea they can even treat allergies. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. 🙂

March 2, 2017 at 10:31 am

I absolutely agree, Ana! Thank you! 🙂

• Rebekah Hargraves

March 2, 2017 at 11:37 am

Essential oils are so awesome!! We have Plant Therapy’s Sniffle Stopper oil mixture for kids and it is great! 🙂

Speaking of treating seasonal allergies naturally, have you ever used raw, local honey to do so? I’ve heard some good things about that.

March 2, 2017 at 4:29 pm

They sure are, Rebekah! That sounds like a great product! 🙂 I haven’t ever used raw local honey to treat seasonal allergies, but I’m allergic to bees, and I’ve been eating raw local honey to help with that allergy! I guess we’ll only find out if it works if I get stung again. 😉

• Samantha

March 2, 2017 at 12:51 pm

I love essential oils! I use peppermint for my stomach a lot, I have celiac disease and it helps when I put it straight on my belly! Also, my fiance has terrible allergies! I’m definitely going to give this a try! Thanks so much for the tips!

March 2, 2017 at 4:30 pm

That’s great, Samantha! I hope it’s helpful for him! 🙂 Peppermint is definitely a soothing oil for stomach aches and pains!

• Laura

March 2, 2017 at 12:54 pm

I’m all into a healthy diet, but never thought about fighting allergies naturally. What great suggestions! Thank you so much!

March 2, 2017 at 4:30 pm

Thank you, Laura! I hope it’s helpful! 🙂

• Kristin

March 2, 2017 at 1:03 pm

That same combo is also supposed to be good for sciatica and arthritis pain. I am trying it out now. I have never had great results with using EO but I am trying to give it a longer try because so many people have great success with them.

March 2, 2017 at 4:31 pm

That’s interesting, Kristin; I’d never heard of treating arthritis with this combo, but essential oils are so versatile that it doesn’t surprise me! I think sometimes we just have to find the right combo and the right application that works best for our individual bodies. 🙂

• Kristine-Bites of Flavor

March 2, 2017 at 2:55 pm

This is great! I suffer from allergies and usually suffer through it. I hate taking meds because they always make me feel weird. I use a nasal rinse but it doesn’t always work. I’m definitely going to try these!

March 2, 2017 at 4:32 pm

Go for it, Kristine! I hope it helps you tremendously! 🙂

• Angela

March 2, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Thank you for this! I pinned it. I love learning natural remedies. Look forward to future posts!

March 2, 2017 at 4:32 pm

You’re welcome, Angela! I’m glad you enjoyed it and I hope you continue to enjoy the series! 🙂

• Neely Moldovan

March 2, 2017 at 4:38 pm

At this point I will try ANYTHING to fight my allergies!

March 8, 2017 at 12:37 pm

I totally understand that, Neely! Give this a try! 🙂

• Leah

March 2, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Love my essentials oils. They’ve helped with allergies, colds, headaches, you name it. I also take a spoon of local honey and it seems to help.

March 8, 2017 at 12:37 pm

Me too, Leah! They are so helpful! My husband and I were just talking about local honey yesterday, and it’s very useful as well! 🙂

• Krysta

March 2, 2017 at 8:11 pm

I keep hearing such great things about essential oils – I really need to try them! I’ve heard they can help with anxiety as well, which is a big plus for me.

March 8, 2017 at 12:38 pm

They help in so many ways! Definitely give them a try, Krysta! 🙂

• Rose

March 2, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Fantastic! I’ve suffered from both year-round and seasonal allergies since high school am an always exploring new treatment options.

March 8, 2017 at 12:38 pm

This would be a great option for you, Rose! 🙂

• Kirstie Ganobsik

March 3, 2017 at 8:23 am

This is great stuff. I love the research you’ve done to help people transition away from pharmaceuticals into having more natural solutions for their allergies. It’s a very detailed and informative post!

March 8, 2017 at 12:39 pm

Thank you, Kirstie! It’s certainly something that I want to share with people!

• Mary

March 3, 2017 at 11:18 am

I love this post, thank you so much! I have had it bad this season and i hate to use medications when I actually don’t need to. Pinned!

March 8, 2017 at 12:39 pm

This would be a great option for you, Mary! 🙂 Thank you!

• Mariah

March 3, 2017 at 11:53 am

Essential oils really help my allergies too! I diffuse Doterra’s breathe every night!

March 8, 2017 at 12:39 pm

That’s great to hear, Mariah!

• Carrie Willard

March 3, 2017 at 1:21 pm

My husband uses a neti pot when spring arrives, but I never thought of EOs. I have all of these so I’m going to recommend that in a few weeks for him.

March 8, 2017 at 12:40 pm

That is wonderful, Carrie! I hope it works for him!

• alexandra @ my urban family

March 3, 2017 at 7:32 pm

I swear by my nasal spray. It’s a lifesaver!

March 8, 2017 at 12:40 pm

It sure is, Alexandra!

• Robin

March 3, 2017 at 8:03 pm

I need to try this! I also have asthma, and I’ve never found anything that works. If it’s this simple, I’ll be thrilled! (And even better if I get to smell delicious things all day!)

March 8, 2017 at 12:41 pm

I’ve found this to be helpful for asthma, too, Robin, so I hope it works for you! 🙂

• Corsica Nambiar

March 3, 2017 at 8:35 pm

What a perfect post for right now, I know tons of people who have those allergies I can direct here. Personally, I don’t fight them but I feel for all who do!!!

March 8, 2017 at 12:41 pm

That would be wonderful to share it with them, Corsica! Thank you!

• Rebekah

March 6, 2017 at 11:47 am

I’m going to have to try this for my husband this spring. We have tried several different natural options to no avail, so I think it may not work, but I always want to try things naturally first and then go back to his usual, Claratin D

March 8, 2017 at 12:42 pm

It’s always good to try other options, Rebekah! I hope this works for him! 🙂

• Evi Figgat

March 6, 2017 at 5:07 pm

I use these three oils for allergies in a diffuser, especially around changing seasons. I totally second this post.

March 8, 2017 at 12:48 pm

They are so great! Thank you, Evi!

• Lauren C. Moye

March 6, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Maybe I need to try the saline spray. I don’t have bad enough allergies to drive me to medicine for it (that stuff dulls my mind) but I do struggle around this time of the year.

March 8, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Definitely try the saline spray, Lauren! It is so helpful!

• Tiffany H.

March 22, 2017 at 9:35 pm

I used to have severe ‘allergies’. Claritin 24 hr, on the hour till it didn’t work anymore. Went to Allegra D, stopped working after a week and made me feel weirder. Rx sprays, Rx pills, I had ‘textbook drainage’, Dr had me try organic milk because regular sometimes mimics allergies. Nothing helped. Finally tried a Chiropractor who does muscle testing with NRT (Nutrition Response Testing), found I had a huge pesticide toxicity and liver damage from it. Started on supplements to detox and support my liver – within DAYS I was clearer than I had been in years and currently have not taken one allergy pill in 5 years. Same as with EOs, things that God gave us in nature are amazing and healing! Very helpful post, Abbey. 🙂

March 24, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Wow! That’s amazing, Tiffany! Thank you for sharing! Natural remedies like chiropractors are so much better for us! 🙂