7 Ways To Stay Warm Without Raising Your Heating Bill

November 29, 2016

Paying a ridiculous amount for heat drives me crazy, but so does living in a cold house. So what do I do? I find alternative ways to stay warm!

Stay warm without raising your heating bill this winter!

(This post may contain affiliate links. For my full disclosure policy, click here.)

Exercise

Personally, I love exercising, but I understand that not everybody feels the same way. However, exercising first thing in the morning will raise your body temperature for the rest of the day.

Whether it’s yoga, weight lifting, running, or kickboxing, try to work out for 20 to 30 minutes each morning. Anything that gets your heart rate up will also raise your body temperature, and keep it up for the rest of the day.

To take it a step farther, when you start to feel cold, do a few jumping jacks or push-ups. Instant warmth!

Wash dishes by hand

We don’t use a dishwasher, so this comes naturally for me. Since most of the heat enters and leaves our bodies through our hands and feet, it makes sense to keep these extremities warm.

When you’re washing dishes by hand, your hands are being covered in warm water, which affects your entire body. Even if it’s only a few dishes, soaking your hands in warm water for just a couple of minutes will raise your body temperature.

Do chores

When I’m cold, I just want to be lazy, but that’s actually the worst thing to do. I’ve started saving my most active chores for the times that I’m most cold.

When I just can’t seem to get warm, that’s when I fold clothes, put away dishes, sweep, or mop. All of those chores get me moving and get my blood pumping. Much like with exercise, that raises my body temperature and warms me up!

Cook or bake

This gives you warmth in several different ways! First, if you’re using your oven, that’s automatically going to heat up your kitchen. We have an open concept house, so it also warms my living and dining room.

Second, when you’re moving around, getting ingredients, mixing things together, you’re getting your blood pumping, and you’re going to feel warmer!

Third, when you eat the food, it warms your insides, which makes you feel warmer overall.

Layer up

I tend to have this first-world view that I shouldn’t have to wear a sweater around the house because I live in America, dagnabbit! But let me assure you, there is nothing wrong with wearing layers around the house!

My feet tend to get really cold, so I’ll wear two pairs of socks, and sometimes slippers (like this) on top of that. I always have AT LEAST a shirt and a sweater on (sometimes more), and occasionally I’ll throw on tights under my pants (thermal sets like this always help).

More layers = more warmth!

Use a blanket

I almost always have a blanket with me during the winter, no matter where I am in the house. If I’m eating lunch at the table, I have it over my legs. If I’m working at my desk, I have it wrapped around me, burrito-style. If I’m on the couch, I’m cuddled up in it.

A plush blanket like this one captures your body heat and radiates it back onto your body, essentially doubling your warmth. Give it a try and you’ll be amazed at how much warmer you feel!

Talk to your electric company

When we renewed our electricity contract one year, we chose a “nights free” plan. That means that any energy we used between 9 PM and 7 AM was FREE!

That allowed us to run our electric heaters all night and keep our house at a nice, warm temperature, which helped it to stay warmer throughout the day.

Give your electric company a call and see if they have a plan like this; it can save you tons of money throughout the winter!

Stay warm without raising your heating bill this winter!

How do you stay warm without raising your heating bill? Share your tips and tricks in the comments!

• Emily

November 29, 2016 at 9:28 am

I didn’t realize that some electric companies had deals like that. That’s great!

November 29, 2016 at 11:40 am

We didn’t know about it until we had to renew our contract this year! It’s so awesome! 🙂

• Aishwarya

November 29, 2016 at 11:00 am

Such innovative post ideas you have! Doing chores and exercises really does help! 🙂

November 29, 2016 at 11:41 am

Thank you, Aishwarya! I absolutely agree! 🙂

• Jenny

November 29, 2016 at 11:00 am

As I’m typing this, I have a blanket on my lap. We rarely use our heater but that’s because we live in Texas and it doesn’t get too cold here. These are great tips!

November 29, 2016 at 11:42 am

I’ve got a blanket on my lap, too! 😉 We live in Texas too, up in the panhandle, so it gets a little cooler during the winter! Thanks, Jenny! 🙂

• Beth

November 29, 2016 at 11:05 am

These are good tips to help stay warm. Our kitchen doesn’t have heat, so I bake a lot more in the winter just to take the chill off!

November 29, 2016 at 11:42 am

That’s a great idea, Beth! It certainly helps! 🙂 Thanks so much!

• Rose

November 29, 2016 at 11:21 am

I love the range of tips here! Even applying one or two of them will make a difference.

November 29, 2016 at 11:43 am

Thank you, Rose! You’re absolutely right! 🙂

• Elizabeth

November 29, 2016 at 11:23 am

Smart post. Now that winter is almost here, people could really use these ideas.

November 29, 2016 at 11:44 am

Thank you, Elizabeth! I hope they’re helpful for many people! 🙂

• Stefanie

November 29, 2016 at 11:57 am

It think the cook/baking is the most helpful for me! It warms up the house so fast!

-Stefanie

November 30, 2016 at 10:07 am

It sure does, Stefanie! Plus, then you get to eat it! 😉

• Megan

November 29, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Another one…cuddling with a pet. They are like giant hot water bottles. Ooh and hot water bottles are another great idea.

November 30, 2016 at 10:08 am

That’s a great though, Megan! I’ve never tried hot water bottles, but that sounds really warming! 🙂

• Becky @ Disney in your Day

November 29, 2016 at 1:56 pm

I am always cold. The place where I work is cold too, I need to find ways to stay warm there! Cuddling my cats warms me up too 🙂

November 30, 2016 at 10:08 am

Me too, Becky! Work can be hard to stay warm at, but I’d definitely try layering! 🙂

• Brittany L Bergman

November 29, 2016 at 2:45 pm

I didn’t realize electric companies had plans like that — so cool! (Or warm? Ha!) I love #5 and #6 especially. Bundling up is actually fun at this time of year! I wouldn’t want to walk around my house in a t-shirt and shorts right now — coziness is the name of the game. 🙂

November 30, 2016 at 10:09 am

It was a surprise for us too, Brittany! 🙂 We’re very cozy in our house too! Lots and lots of layers!

• Anali Martinez

November 29, 2016 at 3:30 pm

LOVE all of these, granted I live in Texas so it probably won’t be getting extremely cold anytime soon. lol

November 30, 2016 at 10:10 am

Thanks, Anali! 🙂 I live in Texas too, but we’re already getting pretty chilly!

• Susannah

November 29, 2016 at 7:09 pm

These are all such great ideas! I love getting creative to save some money!

November 30, 2016 at 10:17 am

Thanks, Susannah! I do too! And I love being warm! Haha 🙂

• Rachel

November 29, 2016 at 7:58 pm

These sound like great tips! Living in FL the heat’s a rare usage here – I need to figure out how to lower my AC bill though 🙂

• Kelsie

November 29, 2016 at 11:05 pm

I’m all about layering and blankets, and of course exercise (even when baby is on board!). I’m interested to see if I’m warmer this winter than before, being prego and all! I didn’t know you didn’t have a dishwasher!

November 30, 2016 at 10:15 am

Yes, yes, yes, Kelsie! I’m hoping that I’ll be warmer this winter, too!! Extra benefits of baby on board! 🙂

• Susan K. Stewart

November 30, 2016 at 10:02 am

A few others that we use: when possible have a fire. We’ve used a wood stove for more than 15 years to heat. Sometimes going outside and standing in the sun (when the wind and snow aren’t blowing, right?) helps. Dance … kids love this one. They laughed at the crazy way parents dance. There’s nothing more warming than joy.

November 30, 2016 at 10:16 am

These are wonderful ideas, Susan! We recently moved into a house with a pellet stove, so we’ve been using that and it is wonderful! 🙂 Thank you for sharing!

• Ivanna

November 30, 2016 at 11:15 am

These are all great ideas. We always have throw blankets on our sofas for people to grab if they get cold. We also use our fireplace and a little space heater, those help.

November 30, 2016 at 11:27 am

Thanks, Ivanna! We’ve been using our pellet stove, as well, and that helps so much!

• Jess

November 30, 2016 at 11:51 am

These are great tips! Especially about the electric bill! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Jess | jessedelblut.com

November 30, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Thanks, Jess! 🙂 That’s been a lifesaver for us!

• Catherine Short

November 30, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Wow, I’ve never heard about a “nights free” contract before! That’s so interesting. I love baking in the colder months. It’s also the perfect time for roasting chickens….

November 30, 2016 at 2:48 pm

I hadn’t heard of it either, but it’s so great! That’s a good idea, Catherine! 🙂

• Krysta Lynn

November 30, 2016 at 6:41 pm

I don’t have a dishwasher so I have to wash my dishes by hand and it really does help me stay warm. I love feeling the warm water and smelling the dish soup 🙂 Actually washing the dishes isn’t as enjoyable haha, but it has to be done!

December 1, 2016 at 11:19 am

Haha I totally understand, Krysta! It does have to be done, and at least the warm water is a bonus! 🙂

• Allison Arnone

November 30, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Ha, smart! It’s so funny; you’re right about doing chores. Whenever I can’t shake a chill but start cleaning, putting sheets on my bed, vacuuming, etc – I IMMEDIATELY warm up (read: start sweating). I also find a hot shower/blowdrying my hair helps!

December 1, 2016 at 11:19 am

Thanks, Allison! I’m the same way with chores! And blow drying my hair is a huge help, too! Great idea! 🙂

• Kristin

December 1, 2016 at 6:11 am

Whoa! Deals like that are a thing?! I had no idea!!!! We used to be really good about bundling up, but this year we’ve been really bad about having the heat on. We need to get back into the bundling up habit, because we really don’t need to be spending all that money!

December 1, 2016 at 11:20 am

We were pretty surprised, too! 🙂 It is definitely tempting to crank the heat up!

• Shane Prather

December 1, 2016 at 11:22 am

I get cold super easily so this was extremely helpful! I’d rather save money over the holidays any way possible 🙂

December 1, 2016 at 11:22 am

Thanks, Shane! 🙂 I’m the same way, so these have been a lifesaver for me!

• Erin

December 1, 2016 at 4:32 pm

LOVE this. All about the layering and blankets. Basically Dave and I decided that we would splurge on either air conditioning OR heat. We both agreed we’d rather keep our house nice and cool in the summer, and just bundle up in the winter and keep the heat low! We keep it at a balmy 65-68 🙂

December 2, 2016 at 10:06 am

Thanks, Erin! We’re the same way! But we have the comfiest blankets, so that’s fun! 🙂

• Sierra Roundy

December 2, 2016 at 12:31 pm

WHAT?! Nights free. I NEED THIS! What a great list, because seriously I’m so cold…all. the. time!

December 2, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Me too, Sierra! I actually need to go put a jacket on right now! Haha nights free is AWESOME! Check with your electric company!

• Julie Hood

December 4, 2016 at 4:48 am

Haha “I live in America, dagnabbit” <–sounds like something I would say! Love these tips!