8 Ways To Make Memories This Fall

October 18, 2016

Fall is one of my favorite times of the year! It’s the perfect time to make memories, but so often we get stuck in a rut of just staying home and watching Netflix (guilty). This year, let’s ditch the movies, and be intentional about making memories together!

Spend a day at a local fall festival

A town close to us has a fall festival every year called Punkin’ Days. They have food, vendors, a car show, games, and even a 5K. We spend a few hours just walking around and it’s so much fun!

Find a local fall festival and invite some friends. Run the 5K, take pictures in the pumpkin patch, or maybe even sell some of your crafts! It’s likely to become a tradition and create some beautiful annual memories.

Bake fall treats

For some, it’s pumpkin pie or ginger snaps. For me, it’s anything apple. I love putting on some good music and just baking the day away.

Some of my favorite memories in the past few years have been sharing these treats with my friends and family. In fact, my husband and I attended a Bible study together before we started dating, and I was able to impress him with my apple treats.

If you have kids, this would be a great tradition to start. The kitchen is the best place to make memories!

How will you make memories this fall? Here are 8 things you can do to make the most of this season with friends and family!
Apple crumble is my favorite! Caleb mostly likes the whipped cream. πŸ˜‰

Attend a football game

We live in Texas, where football is king. Every Thursday through Sunday, there are junior high, high school, college, and professional games going on all around the state. The weather is cool, the fans are cheering, and the band is loud. It’s so much fun!

My dad was a football coach for 26 years, so most of my childhood memories revolve around football, and I love that! There are few greater feelings than attending a local football game and cheering on those high school kids. Believe me, it’s a memory that you want to have.

Plan a family fun day

This time of year, there are endless opportunities for family fun. Take your kids to an apple orchard, explore a pumpkin patch, or jump in piles of leaves. Whatever you choose, set aside a day just for your family to have fun. Take lots of pictures and soak in every moment; you’ll want to relive it for years to come.

Local events like hot air balloon festivals are frequently held in the fall, and they’re awesome!

Build a bonfire

One of my favorite fall memories was when Caleb and I were dating. He built a bonfire on a Friday night because I had been wanting one. Our friends came out to his house, we had pizza, and we all hung out around the fire. It was SUCH a fun time, and I wouldn’t trade that memory for the world.

Fall bonfires are a must-have, and they’re even better with friends! Use this as a time to invite some people over without having to worry about a clean house. πŸ˜‰ All you need is a fire, some snacks, and a few chairs and blankets!

Decorate your home for fall

Whether it’s pumpkins, fall trees, or leaves, decorating your home, especially if you involve your spouse or kids, can be a great memory-making tradition. It gets you in the mood for this beautiful season, and it gives you a pretty reminder every day of why you love it.

To make this an even greater memory, try to include pictures from past fall memories around your house. There’s nothing better than reminiscing and recreating those memories!

Go on a hike

I love summer hikes, but nothing compares to fall hikes. The weather is such a beautiful temperature, the leaves are changing, and everyone is so excited to be outside (especially after a summer in Texas).

Many parks will offer free hikes or hikes themed for the fall season, so be sure to check their website or Facebook page for those opportunities. This is also a great time to take a family camping trip before the nights get too cold!

Give thanks

Caleb and I both come from big families, so we’re not the kind of people to go around the table on Thanksgiving and give thanks. If we did, we’d never get to eat! πŸ˜‰ But as the leaves change and the weather gets cooler, my heart is always filled with thankfulness: for this season, for my family and friends, and for these memories.

Go out and enjoy your memories. But at the end of the day, give thanks to God for His goodness. After all, every good and perfect gift comes from Him (James 1:17).

What’s your favorite way to make memories in the fall? Which one of these ways do you want to try this year? Leave me a comment and let me know!

More family fun:

How To Plan An Awesome Family Vacation On A Budget

8 Must-See Family-Friendly Christian Movies

• Summer @ Coffee With Summer

October 18, 2016 at 9:02 am

I miss bonfires so much! Living in an apartment is no fun…haha. But I do love making fall treats – apple pie, apple crisp….mmm!

October 18, 2016 at 9:27 am

Aw, that’s a bummer! But YES to apple anything! πŸ™‚

• Casey Capra

October 18, 2016 at 11:39 am

Hikes are my faves!!
    Allergic to apples, so I’ve been trying to find fall desserts/treats that are still fall-y without being apple!

Great post:)

October 19, 2016 at 9:07 am

Thanks, Casey! I love hiking too! πŸ™‚ But allergic to apples??? How sad! πŸ™

• Jenna Graziani

October 18, 2016 at 11:53 am

Fall hikes and baked goods are my FAVORITE! I just came up with a Paleo apple crumble πŸ™‚

October 19, 2016 at 9:08 am

I’m with ya, Jenna!! Ooooh, that sounds good!

• Jannine

October 18, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Baking fall treats is one of my favourite fall things to do. Pumpkin carving and seeing a haunted house/corn maze/apple picking is another great way to create some fall memories <3

xo Jannine | http://www.happystylishfit.com

October 19, 2016 at 9:09 am

Mine too, Jannine! πŸ™‚ Oh I do love corn mazes! And I’d love to go apple picking! πŸ™‚

• Samantha @ Momma Wants Java

October 18, 2016 at 1:18 pm

This is such a great list! I’ve always left seasonal decorating for Christmas, but I definitely see how much fun it could add for other holidays as well. It’s about time for this family to hop all over that! πŸ™‚

October 19, 2016 at 9:10 am

Thanks, Samantha! I’m not too good at decorating for fall, but my sister in law rocks it! I think it would be so fun! πŸ™‚

• Maggie

October 18, 2016 at 9:13 pm

This post has me so pumped for fall! Thanks for sharing!

October 19, 2016 at 9:11 am

Thanks, Maggie! Me too! πŸ™‚

• Brittany

October 18, 2016 at 9:23 pm

I’ve cooked with pumpkin a lot this month, but I’m also really an apple fan. Apple cider is my favorite. I loooove this list. It has everything on it that I want to do.

October 19, 2016 at 9:12 am

Thanks, Brittany! They’re my favorites, too! I’m not a huge pumpkin fan, but it definitely has its place! πŸ™‚ I LOVE apple cider! πŸ™‚

• Kristin

October 19, 2016 at 8:10 am

Love this, Abbey! The first sentence of this post sums up exactly how I feel about Fall too!
    Taylor and I actually have a perfect spot for bonfires, and we need to have one. Unfortunately, the Fall weather keeps taunting us and them leaving us. It’s 85 today :/

October 19, 2016 at 9:13 am

Thanks, Kristin! Fall is so great! πŸ™‚ I understand that; we’ve had a lot of warm weather too. It’s such a bummer!

• Ashley

October 19, 2016 at 10:16 am

Fall is our favorite time of year. It’s the one time we all gather to visit my parents in West Virginia so we definitely do festivals and bonfires then. It’s always so much fun!

October 19, 2016 at 10:40 am

Aw, that sounds so fun, Ashley! Fall is beautiful! πŸ™‚

• Courtney

October 19, 2016 at 10:44 am

Baking is always a big fall must for our family. Getting everyone in the kitchen is priceless time together. Love your list!!

October 19, 2016 at 10:46 am

Thank you, Courtney! Family baking time is so much fun! πŸ™‚

• Elizabeth Johnson

October 19, 2016 at 11:17 am

Great post! I hope to have a family fun day soon. Every Fall we make my husband’s grandmother’s pumpkin bread recipe. It is so delicious and it doesn’t last long!

October 20, 2016 at 9:51 am

Thanks, Elizabeth! I hope y’all have so much fun! πŸ™‚ Oooooh, that sounds amazing!

• Angela

October 19, 2016 at 12:54 pm

I love your decorating photo! So awesome!! I wish I had a spot for a bonfire! Bonfires are perfect for fall! One day! Great list!

October 20, 2016 at 9:52 am

Thanks, Angela! That was actually my sister-in-law’s decorating for Thanksgiving a few years ago; she’s really good at it! πŸ™‚ And yes, bonfires are my favorite!

• Brittany

October 19, 2016 at 8:36 pm

I love this list! My husband and I try to do many of these things each year. Fall treats, bonfires, and giving thanks are nonnegotiable! We also try to go on a fall holiday each year, but this year we didn’t get to it.

October 20, 2016 at 9:53 am

Thank you, Brittany! That’s so great! A fall holiday sounds beautiful, but I’m sure you will still enjoy your time at home! πŸ™‚

• Pam

October 19, 2016 at 11:26 pm

We’ve already done a few of these including baking sweets together and a bonfire! Can’t wait to make more memories πŸ™‚

October 20, 2016 at 9:54 am

Aw, that’s wonderful, Pam! Memories are a beautiful thing! πŸ™‚

• Ashley

October 20, 2016 at 7:47 am

I LOVE decorating the house for Fall! The smells especially make me fell like it’s really Fall.

October 20, 2016 at 9:54 am

I completely agree, Ashley! The smells of fall are simply amazing! πŸ™‚

• cara

October 20, 2016 at 10:07 am

These are such great ideas! Baking in the fall is a definite must in my family!

October 20, 2016 at 10:43 am

I love baking, too, Cara! Thanks so much! πŸ™‚

• Rachel Lynn

October 20, 2016 at 11:51 am

I baked pumpkin spice snickerdoodles with my boyfriend a week or two ago and we had so much fun goofing off and ‘testing’ the dough. πŸ˜› I really want to go to a pumpkin farm/apple orchard and I also want to build a bonfire. Those are all such quintessential fall activities πŸ™‚

October 20, 2016 at 11:52 am

That sounds yummy and super fun!! πŸ™‚ I’ve never been to an apple orchard, so I think that would be really fun! Thanks, Rachel! πŸ™‚

• Laura

October 20, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Love all of these suggestions! I live in Canada so thanksgiving has come and gone, but at the beginning of November my Boyfriend’s british family will be celebrating Guy Fawkes with a big bonfire and fireworks!

Haven’t been to market (yet) but those are fall memories ready to be made

xxox
    Laura @ http://www.cookwineandthinker.com

• Lauren

October 24, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Our family does a “thankful” tree every november, where everyone in our house has to list things they are thnakful for everyday and we hang them up…It’s awesome! I agree, nothing beats a fall hike. We want to get out on another this weekend!

October 25, 2016 at 9:50 am

Aw, that is such an AWESOME idea, Lauren! Thank you so much for sharing that! πŸ™‚

• Jasmine

October 25, 2016 at 8:50 am

Reasons why I love making Fall Bucket Lists because we can take pictures of the things we do as a memory keep sake πŸ™‚

October 25, 2016 at 9:53 am

Yes, that is so wonderful, Jasmine! πŸ™‚

• 7 Verses To Inspire Thankfulness – Small Town Soul

November 22, 2016 at 8:01 am

[…] almost Thanksgiving! I love this time of year! The weather has finally cooled off, I’ve beenΒ making memories with my husband, families are coming together to celebrate, and everyone just seems a little bit happier. πŸ™‚ But […]