Trying To Save Money? Stop Buying These 4 Things!

September 22, 2016

Caleb and I believe serving God with our whole hearts includes being wise with where our money goes. That includes making smart purchases, but it also includes NOT making certain purchases!

Are you trying to save money and stay on budget? To help you do that, stop buying these 4 things!

(This post may contain affiliate links. For my full disclosure policy, click here.)

With a little bit of ingenuity and smart planning, there are quite a few things we can cut out of our budget to save us money each month!

Medicine

Thankfully, Caleb and I have both been blessed with good health. Neither of us have chronic diseases and we don’t get sick easily. That is definitely to our advantage, both for our well-being and for our financial sake.

However, I have terrible year-round allergies and Caleb struggles with them seasonally. But we don’t just suffer through them!

While we have chosen not to invest our money in medicine, we have chosen to invest in essential oils and nasal spray. These have been a lifesaver for us, and they completely keep our allergies at bay! Win, win! Although they are an initial investment, they are completely worth it in the long run. ๐Ÿ™‚

Plant Therapy Essential Oils

Printer Paper

I work from home and Caleb does quite a bit of work with his film business from here, as well. We end up printing quite a bit, but printer paper can get so expensive. So what do we do? We just flat out don’t buy it!

Instead, we get leftover paper from other sources. For example, I was in charge of a 5K race one summer, and we had a lot of course maps left after the race. They were going in the trash, so I grabbed them, and we now use them at home!

Of course, if we are mailing the print or giving it to someone, we wouldn’t use paper with something like a map on the back. But for our own everyday use? Absolutely! Try talking to your boss or even your church and ask if you can have their scrap paper. They’re usually more than happy to give it away! ๐Ÿ™‚

Brand New Phones

Caleb and I love technology, and we use our phones all the time. We even run our businesses with them. That being said, we think it’s ridiculous to pay $600+ for a new phone every year or two.

Last summer, it was time for both of us to get new phones. Caleb did tons and tons of research, and he discovered that the LG G4 was the perfect phone for both of us. It has an awesome camera, a smooth operating system, and a great battery. The only catch? It’s not the newest.

But does that matter?ย NO.ย Because in his research, Caleb also discovered that the upgrades made to the LG G5 were minor, and definitely didn’t make itย worth theย $200 price jump. We bought the G4, and we’ve had no regrets.

Before you jump on the newest iPhone bandwagon, do your research. If you can get an older phone that’s just as good for a better price, go for it! ๐Ÿ™‚

A Big Name Phone Carrier

We live in a very rural area where no carrier is perfect, but Verizon and AT&T are the only ones that even work. We spent many, many hours trying to choose between Verizon and AT&T, because we felt like they were only options.

AT&T didn’t offer the kind of plan we wanted, but Verizon’s data packages were more expensive. Either way, we were going to be paying overย $100 for our two phones.

Then, we asked our Facebook friends who they used, and someone suggested Cricket. Come to find out, Cricket runs off AT&T towers, but they offer better plans than AT&T and charge way less!

We ended up choosing Cricketย and are now paying $70 for unlimited talk + text, plus each of us has 4 GB of data each month. It was the perfect deal for us! ๐Ÿ™‚

>>Sign up with Cricket and receive a $25 credit<<

Trying To Save Money? Stop Buying These 4 Things!

A great resource to help you learn how to not spend money is Erin Odom’s new book,ย More Than Just Making It. This book is part memoir, part manual, and it covers everything from solving an income problem to solving a spending problem.

If it’s an income problem, Erin covers many different ways to make extra money to support your family. If it’s a spending problem, Erin does what I did in this post; she talks about different ways to cut your budget by NOT buying certain items and services!

Whether you struggling with staying on budget or simply looking to become a better steward of the money God has blessed you with, you need to readย More Than Just Making It!

>>Pre-order More Than Just Making It before September 5, 2016<<

>>After you pre-order, click here for over $220 worth of freebies!<<

How do you save money by not spending money? What’s on your no-buy list? Leave me a comment and let me know!

More money-saving tips:

Top 9 Places To Buy Cheap Maternity Clothes

365 Days Without Buying Clothes

How To Grocery Shop On A Budget

• Alanna @ Alanna & Company

September 22, 2016 at 9:32 am

Mine is probably to stop getting gel manicures and pedicures all the time! I can probably do all these myself but I like pampering myself.

September 22, 2016 at 9:36 am

It’s the little things that get us! Haha maybe you could set aside specific times to get those, and then do it yourself the rest of the time! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Joules (from Pocketful of Joules)

September 22, 2016 at 10:35 am

For us, if we just commit to packing our lunches and snacks it makes a HUGE difference. All those little stops/purchases really add up.

September 22, 2016 at 10:49 am

Yes, absolutely! That is so true! Great idea! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Falon

September 22, 2016 at 5:37 pm

I’ve never heard about Cricket, I’m going to look into that! I think buying the new phones as soon as they come out is crazy, I always wait until they go “on sale”.

September 23, 2016 at 9:20 am

Good idea, Falon! I definitely recommend Cricket! We have had perfect service and it’s cheaper! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Jenna @ A Savory Feast

September 23, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Reusing printer paper is so smart! That stuff is so expensive.

September 23, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Right?? Which is ridiculous, because it’s paper. Haha

• Maddie

September 23, 2016 at 1:30 pm

I feel like whenever a new iPhone comes out everyone needs to drop the phone they have and upgrade! It’s crazy how much money we put into technology these days. Great post- thanks for sharing!

September 24, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Isn’t that just crazy?? Thanks so much, Maddie!

• 6 Simple Ways To Earn Extra Money Online (That AREN'T Blogging!) – Small Town Soul

October 13, 2016 at 10:28 am

[…] Related Post:ย Trying To Stay On Budget? Stop Buying These 4 Things! […]

• Rachel

November 15, 2016 at 10:10 am

Great tips but I honestly don’t think I can part with any of these lol

Rachel | The Confused Millennial

November 15, 2016 at 10:33 am

No judgement here, girl! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I don’t blame you! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Autumn

November 15, 2016 at 10:22 am

Mine is definitely not eating out as much and cooking my lunches for work. It’s a huge money saver and makes going out even more special. ๐Ÿ™‚

November 15, 2016 at 10:33 am

It really does make going out more special! My husband and I hardly ever eat out, so I’m really excited when we get to do that! Great thoughts! Thanks, Autumn! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Courtney

November 15, 2016 at 11:51 am

Putting the reins on eating out is big for us right now, especially lunches. Packing a lunch during the work week saves so. much. money. Money that can be put towards other things or paying down debt. Thanks for your tips!

November 15, 2016 at 3:04 pm

That’s a big deal for us, too! Packing a lunch really does save soooo much money! Thanks, Courtney! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Moll

November 15, 2016 at 5:43 pm

So smart! I’m definitely interested in keeping my budget low and these tips really help. Currently I’m on a large phone plan and pay an arm and a leg for it. Hopefully that changes soon!

Keep smiling!
    Molly | http://www.stylemissmolly.com

• Shaylynn @ Beneath the Cherry Tree

November 15, 2016 at 5:49 pm

These are great tips, Abbey! I’ve never thought to reuse paper and I love the tip about not getting brand new phones. It’s so funny how we can sometimes think that we “need” those things, isn’t it? But marketing for technology is just a little coy, and often the difference in price from one model down is never worth the cost of buying something brand new! Thanks for the tips!

November 16, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Thanks, Shaylynn! Marketing definitely tries to get us to spend more money than we need to, but we’re smarter than they think we are! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Jo Elyn Landers-Helton

August 16, 2017 at 3:50 pm

It took me about a year an a half to get control of my finances after Larry died. Money was flying out the door. I buckled down and got rid of my 2 huge storage units and just have a tiny one. I got rid of cable and my home phone. My iphone 5 was a gift and I use NET ten as my provider. $50.00 a month for unlimited talk and text and data. I turn up my air in the summer when I am not home, and down in the winter. I try not to use lights or leave them on at home. Just natural light. I don’t have things running just to have them running. I am pretty proud of my electric, water, and gas bills. When others’ electric bills are over $200.00 for a month in the summer, mine is below $90.00 and gas was $27.00 and water is below $70.00.
    Groceries didn’t cost much, because frankly I wasn’t eating anything but cereal. But now since I have re-married, my grocery costs have gone up. Gary likes to eat. I try to make meals that will last for two meals.
    I only get my hair cut about 6-8 weeks. I do not get manicures or pedicures. (only very rarely on the pedicures). Unfortunately, I am a severe asthmatic and have been all my life. I have tried all the herbs and supplements and oils, and they do not work on me. So I just have to dish out money for my expensive medicine.
    I don’t drive anywhere for lunch and bring mine. But when it’s cold or raining or snowing, I have to go home at lunch and let the dogs in or out.
    I try not to buy clothes that are not on sale. I have found some of the cutest tunics at Walgreens, of all places. I am not good and shopping at Goodwill or places like that. I never find things and get frustrated.
    I am also a very picky eater, so I don’t buy all the expensive veggies or fruits (allergic to most fruits anyway).
    You can cut costs. You have to want to and have the mindset to do so.
    I am currently working on building up my savings again. Had to use it to pay house taxes and for our wedding (which only cost about $300.00 or less)
    Thanks Abbey for letting me share.

• Kristin

August 18, 2017 at 5:35 am

We LOVE Cricket! We’ve had very few issues in the year and a half that we have had it and it definitely saves money!