Find The Awesome

August 10, 2016

Life is hard, and it’s far too easy to focus on the negative aspects of it. Today, it’s easier for me to complain about an upset stomach than it is to be thankful for the groceries that we can afford. But I heard a message on the radio the other day about finding the awesome in every situation, and I love that thought! God has given us awesome lives, and we need to focus on that instead of our problems. Since that’s easier said than done, let’s look at how we can find the awesome in every situation!

Find The Awesome

(This post may contain affiliate links. For my full disclosure policy, click here.)

Sometimes, life is really good and finding the awesome comes naturally. Those times are so much fun and we find ourselves smiling at the smallest things … a cardinal in the tree, a free taco, a gentle rain at the end of the day. I love those parts of life and I try to gain as much joy as I can out of them.

But that’s not always the case. Sometimes life is really hard. You’re sick, a loved one is sick, you lose a friend, you lose a job, the list goes on. Times like that make it hard to just get out bed each day. It’s almost impossible to even put a smile on your face, much less find something that you consider awesome.

Related Post: 6 Songs To Listen To When You’re Afraid

But I’m here to tell you that it’s possible, and it’s what God wants for us!

“I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.” – Philippians 4:12-13

Maybe you woke up sick this morning; that’s not awesome. But you woke up this morning, and that is awesome!

Maybe you’re grieving the loss of a loved one; that’s not awesome. But you have your sweet memories of them, and that is awesome!

Maybe you lost your job and you don’t know how you’re going to provide for your family; that’s not awesome. But you have a family, and that is awesome!

Maybe your house burned to the ground; that’s not awesome. But you’re still alive, and that is awesome!

Even in dire and difficult situations, you can find the awesome. When you do, your heart will be filled with joy, and slowly, you will start to see even more awesome. Finding the awesome probably won’t change your situation, but it will change your attitude, and sometimes that’s the key to a fresh start.

Related Post: When My Fear’s Like Jericho

Join with me and let’s find the awesome in every day! Use the hashtag #findtheawesome on social media to join the movement! 🙂

Want to see more? Follow Small Town Soul on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and PinterestAnd don’t forget to share this with someone who would enjoy it!

• Rebekah

August 10, 2016 at 9:19 am

I think it’s a great idea to always be looking for the positive in a situation. I know it helps get you through the not-awesome aspects of life! I can’t wait to use the hashtag!

August 10, 2016 at 9:24 am

Thank you so much, Rebekah! I agree! It can be so helpful to get us through the tough times! 🙂 I can’t wait to see how you use this new hashtag!

• Elizabeth Johnson

August 10, 2016 at 9:30 am

I will definitely be using this hashtag! Love it!

August 10, 2016 at 9:31 am

Wonderful! Thanks, Elizabeth! 🙂

• Lauren @ Glitter & Grandeur

August 10, 2016 at 1:37 pm

This is great! So inspiring! I always try to help my readers find the joy (or find the awesome, as you say) in their daily lives. It is so important to find positive aspects in even the worst situations. Otherwise, it is too easy to let the sadness and torment overwhelm your life. Life is too short to not celebrate the awesome! My hashtag is #SpreadSparkle and I think it parallels well with your #findtheawesome. I will definitely be incorporating that hashtag into my social media this week. 🙂

August 10, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Thank you so much, Lauren! I do believe we’re on the same page! We absolutely need to spread the sparkle and find the awesome in every situation! I’m excited to see how you use the hashtag!! 🙂

• Brittany

August 10, 2016 at 2:16 pm

This is so inspiring and encouraging Abbey! After my downer post today I definitely needed a reminder that things aren’t so bad!

August 10, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Thank you, Brittany! Your post just made my heart for you, but just know that there is good in every situation! It’ll all be okay! 🙂

• Emily @ Em Writes

August 10, 2016 at 4:56 pm

I love this movement! It’s so important to cling to what is good in this world. What a great way to look on the bright side.

August 11, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Thank you, Emily! I agree that the bright side is the place to be! We can do anything when we have the right attitude! 🙂

• Rachel G

August 11, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Love this attitude! I will try to remember to use your hashtag on instagram sometime! ‘Awesome’ is one of my most-used words to begin with, so I really appreciate this kind of focus.

August 12, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Thank you, Rachel! I’d love to see you use the hashtag! I use awesome all the time, too! 🙂

• Friday Faves: Find The Awesome – Small Town Soul

August 12, 2016 at 8:29 am

[…] week, I started a movement called “Find the Awesome.” It’s all about finding the awesome things in every day life so that we will focus on […]

• Fillia Barden

August 12, 2016 at 9:05 am

It is how we train our perspective. I believe in everything God works for our good. Even on our bad day..there’s always something to learn. And my latest post is about 5 ways to capture beauty on a lousy day. Have a read anytime 😊

August 12, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Thank you so much, Fillia! I absolutely agree that God works everything for our good! He’s always moving in our lives, we just have to see it! 🙂

• Megan

August 13, 2016 at 12:04 am

I love this so much! There is always so much to be thankful for and there is always goodness in every day.

August 15, 2016 at 10:48 am

Absolutely! Thanks so much, Megan! 🙂

• Susannah

August 15, 2016 at 10:25 am

I really love this perspective! I’m gonna work hard to find my awesome in every situation too! <3

August 15, 2016 at 10:49 am

Thanks, Susannah! Sounds like you’re on the right track! 🙂

• Erica @ Coming Up Roses

August 16, 2016 at 9:34 am

That verse has always been one of my all time favorites, but I don’t know why…I needed to see it here again like this this morning. Thank you, Abbey. Finding the awesome today!

Coming Up Roses

August 16, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Thank you, Erica! It’s such a wonderful verse! I hope you succeed in finding lots of awesome today! 🙂

• Mental Happiness: 3 Ways To Improve Your Mental Happiness – Love Doing Life

September 6, 2016 at 11:27 am

[…] about that got me upset I remind myself of the amazing things I do have. I follow a blog called Small Town Soul that recently did a post about how to “Find The Awesome”.  I enjoyed this post and […]

• Back From Break + 2 Announcements! – Small Town Soul

September 8, 2016 at 8:31 am

[…] Related Post: Find The Awesome […]

• 5 Essential Tips For First-Time Homebuyers – Small Town Soul

September 13, 2016 at 8:38 am

[…] Related Post: Find The Awesome […]

• The Perfect Way To Make Your Spouse Feel Appreciated Every Day – Small Town Soul

October 7, 2016 at 11:13 am