The Side Hustle That Pays For Our Groceries

July 18, 2016

Before Caleb and I got married, we discussed many practical aspects of marriage, and one of those was sticking to a budget. That can be tough, since Caleb is self-employed and I am a homemaker. Money can be a little tight sometimes, so I like to do what I can to help out to make a little extra money. Specifically, I like to earn enough to pay for our groceries each month. That’s why I was so overjoyed when I found this side hustle that pays for our groceries.

The Side Hustle That Pays For Our Groceries

Living a healthy lifestyle is one of our top priorities, which means healthy cooking is a must. But healthy food is expensive, and if you’re eating mostly meat and fresh fruits and vegetables, there’s not an option to coupon. I rely on sales at the grocery store and I’m wise with what I purchase, but I decided that if I could earn enough money to keep grocery shopping from making a dent in our budget, that would be the best solution. After a little bit of searching, I found a side hustle that allowed me to do this and was absolutely perfect for me!

If you think I’m going to enlighten you to the side hustle that is perfect for everyone, you should stop reading now. This works for me and my lifestyle, but it may not work for you. I read hundreds of those “perfect, easy, work-from-home, never-change-out-of-your-pajamas” posts before I realized that this would work for me! Let me encourage you; search it out and see if it works for you. If it does, that’s wonderful, but if it doesn’t, just keep looking!

Looking for a #sidehustle to pay for your groceries? I've got one that might be perfect for you! Click To Tweet

A few years back, my mom connected me to a site called Rev. Rev is a transcription service. People like lawyers, businessmen, and researchers submit their recordings to Rev and transcriptionists like myself transcribe their recordings. If you’re a fast typist and can easily type as people talk, this might be a perfect fit for you!

When you apply for Rev, you will do a practice transcription or two, so you’ll know immediately if it’s right for you or not. They will review your transcriptions and get back to you within several days. If you’re accepted, you’ll be able to log in and begin working.

As a transciptionist, you log in to Rev and are shown all of the available projects. You can listen to these projects before you claim them, to check the quality of the audio and the speakers. Once you decide on a project, you claim it and are taken to the transcription editor. In the editor, you listen to the audio and transcribe it, just like you did when applying. You are able to adjust the volume, speed, and background noise of the audio. You can pause, rewind, and fast forward as needed. Once you’re finished, you submit the project and you’re sent back to the available projects screen.

Related Post: 6 Simple Ways To Earn Extra Money Online

When you start at Rev, you’re a Rookie. As a Rookie, you get the lower paying and shorter jobs, and not as many jobs are available. After 60 minutes of successful transcriptions (which can be done in just a few days), you move up to the Revver level. Revvers receive 25% more per minute and they have access to longer jobs. After you reach 1200 minutes of successful transcriptions, you move up to the Revver+ level. Revvers+ have first dibs on transcriptions, which has really opened up doors for me to make good money at this.

Transcriptionists are paid per transcription minute. Jobs on Rev range between $0.40 and $0.65 per minute, and you’re able to choose the length of the projects that you want to take on. Depending on your level, you can earn anywhere from $50 to $500 a month (although there is no limit). Personally, I earn approximately $200 a month on Rev. I only work on weekdays and my goal is to make $10 a day. I work for about an hour each day, but if I have the time to do more, I can earn extra!

Most months, I earn enough to pay for our groceries. Some months are lower, if we’re out of town a lot or if I have other obligations, but every little bit counts! Rev has been such a blessing for us, and I’n so thankful that I’m able to help out in this little way and still blog, run our photography business, and take care of our home. If you’re interested in Rev, check it out here! It’s a great opportunity!

Are you a fast typer? This could be the perfect job for you! #transcriptions Click To Tweet

Now it’s your turn. What side hustle helps you earn extra money? Have you tried Rev?

Want to see more? Follow Small Town Soul on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and PinterestAnd don’t forget to share this with someone who would enjoy it! 🙂

• Taylor Mobley

July 18, 2016 at 11:37 am

What a great thing! I’ve never heard of it — but I am checking it out!

July 18, 2016 at 11:38 am

Yay! Thanks, Taylor!! I hope it works for you; I love it! 🙂

• Katie Murray

July 18, 2016 at 1:28 pm

I’ve never heard of this but I’m going to have to check it out! It would really help me pay off my student loans a little faster!

July 18, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Oh Katie, that would be so wonderful for you! I hope that you’re able to do it and that it works well for you! Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

• Vanessa

July 18, 2016 at 6:41 pm

I have been wanting to check into medical transcriptioning so I could be home with the girls instead of being out of town for 3 to 4 days a week!

July 18, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Aw, Vanessa! That would be absolutely fantastic for you! I see Rev as a part-time gig, but I bet if you were doing medical transcriptions for a company that specializes in that, you would make even more! 🙂

• Angie Scheie

July 18, 2016 at 11:35 pm

Yes! I have been looking for something like this. I actually was trying to find a good transcription service but it seemed like many of them I had to pay a bunch of money up front for. Does this one require anything like that? It’s pinned though for when I have some time to apply!

July 19, 2016 at 8:43 am

I’m so glad this was helpful for you, Angie! 🙂 This one doesn’t require you to pay anything, ever! And it’s really easy to use! I hope it works well for you! 🙂

• Emily @ Em Writes

July 19, 2016 at 7:57 am

This sounds like a great side hustle! I’ve tried doing some freelancing on Upwork, but I wasn’t sure I could trust it. Rev sounds similar, so I’ll have to check it out. It would be super useful during the summers, when I don’t work, to bring in some extra cash.

July 19, 2016 at 8:44 am

Emily, this would be perfect for teachers to do during the summer! 🙂 I’ve never heard of Upwork, but I know that Rev is very reliable and trustworthy! I’ve had no problems with them! 🙂

• Latonya

July 19, 2016 at 8:17 am

I haven’t transcribed for Rev In awhile, but you are right it is a nice side hustle for small expenses. I like the flexibility, and that your position is always there no matter how long of a break you take.

July 19, 2016 at 8:45 am

It’s so great to meet a fellow Revver, Latonya! I love all of those things about Rev, as well! I didn’t use it for three years, but I just picked up right where I left off! It’s wonderful! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! 🙂

• Bree Hogan

July 19, 2016 at 9:32 am

Sounds like a great, flexible way to make some extra dough on the side. Nice!

July 19, 2016 at 9:43 am

Thanks, Bree! It’s been great for us! 🙂

• Jill

July 19, 2016 at 11:28 am

Wow! Thats fabulous! I haven’t heard of Rev before… I’ll have to check it out!

July 19, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Awesome, Jill! I hope it’s a perfect fit for you! Thanks for checking out my post! 🙂

• Debra

July 20, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Totally awesome and what a great opportunity to earn extra money for your family while still being home.

July 20, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Thank you so much, Debra! I agree! 🙂

• Grady

July 22, 2016 at 9:17 am

So neat! I’ve heard of this but wasn’t sure if it was actually legit. Really cool post!

July 22, 2016 at 9:26 am

It sure, Grady! Completely legit! I hope you check it out! 🙂 Thanks for reading!

• Ashley

July 22, 2016 at 1:22 pm

This is great! Congrats on finding an awesome side hustle! 🙂 Working on launching a new business to help fellow boss babes do the same!

July 22, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Thank you so much, Ashley! 🙂 Your business sounds great! Shoot me an email at abbey.phipps4@gmail.com if you want any help or input! 🙂

• Aleksandra

July 22, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Genuinely very interesting. Here in the UK second jobs are much less common but this looks interesting.

July 22, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Thank you, Aleksandra! 🙂 I’m pretty certain that this can be done anywhere in the world, so you might look into it if you’re interested! 🙂

• Andrea Shannon

July 29, 2016 at 10:57 am

Oh this sounds great! I’ve been working for a side hustle for awhile! Lol thanks!

July 30, 2016 at 10:03 am

Yes, you gotta do it! It’s been so great for us! 🙂

• Rachel G

July 30, 2016 at 6:00 am

I’ve heard of people doing this occasionally, but I think it’s really cool how you made it into a true side job that pays for a need within your budget! When I was in college I had a variety of random little side jobs–writing articles for magazines and ironing clothes for a lady (she hired separate people for other cleaning jobs–my one job at her place was ironing clothes for a couple hours a week). I’m not the fastest of typists, but I’m a really good and fast ironer (with 9 people in my family, and no dryer when we were growing up, I had a LOT of ironing experience, haha!).
    These days I guess doing private tuition is my ‘side hustle’–although I feel like I do it more just because so many of these kids could really use the extra help than for the income. I tutor English and SAT prep–we live in SE Asia and a lot of teens are trying to prep to go to college in English-speaking countries and they have a lot of work to do to get ready! I love connecting with the teens and sharing my love for English grammar and obscure vocabulary. 😛 This school year I already have 4 nights a week of tuition penned into my calendar–and the school year hasn’t started yet so I’m kinda hoping no one else asks me because I don’t like saying no….but I don’t want to be too crazy busy…

July 30, 2016 at 10:07 am

Thanks, Rachel! That’s so awesome that you’ve been able to find those side jobs! 🙂 You’re one step ahead of me; I can’t iron to save my life! As a former teacher, I love that you’re doing private tutoring and getting them ready for the SAT! Education is so important, and you are making such a difference! 🙂

• Zoom

September 7, 2016 at 8:03 pm

I’ve always heard such good things about transcription, but never about a specific company! I was a big MMO gamer for several years and got reallllly good at typing fast too lol Thanks for sharing this secret with us!

September 8, 2016 at 9:18 am

Haha that is awesome! Rev is definitely my go-to company! Thanks for reading! 🙂

• Tawni

September 8, 2016 at 12:48 am

Wow! This sounds great for me! I’m going to check it out for sure. Thanks for the heads up!

September 8, 2016 at 9:17 am

Awesome, Tawni! I hope that it works out! I love it! 🙂

• Sarah

October 16, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Thanks for the post about this – I have thought about doing something like this before but it always sounded like it was hard to get your foot in the door to any kind of decent or regular work. This one sounds like they are really addressing that issue. So thanks for the share!

Also, side note – you may consider having a ‘popular posts’ on the side bar so people can find things. It looks like you have a lot on here but outside of the very recent or the end of each month listed, it’s not that easy to find older things. I came across this post somehow and when I came back to your website I almost thought it was the wrong one because I had a hard time finding the link (and therefore the name of it!)

October 17, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Thanks, Sarah! You’re right; Rev is doing a great job of making it easy for people to get started! It’s one of the things that I love about them and I think you’ll enjoy it as well. 🙂 Thank you for that suggestion; I’ll get to work on it soon! I definitely want to make my site as easy to navigate as possible! 🙂

• Shaylynn @ Beneath the Cherry Tree

December 7, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Yay! I just submitted my application and can’t wait to see how this goes! Thanks for posting about it. I hadn’t heard about it before!

• Sarah Althouse

March 27, 2017 at 8:16 am

oh this sounds perfect! I’m a fast typer so I think I’d enjoy this too!

March 27, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Go for it, Sarah! 🙂

• Marette Flora

March 27, 2017 at 9:27 am

What a great idea for a side hustle. I had never heard of it. So great that it’s enough to pay for your groceries!

March 27, 2017 at 7:23 pm

It is definitely an awesome blessing, Marette!

• Ali

March 27, 2017 at 10:17 am

What a great way to earn extra money. I’m a quick typist – may check this out. I’ve always done some sort of side job – mostly it’s been via online tutoring/teaching, but this might make a nice change of pace.

March 27, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Thanks, Ali! You should definitely check it out! It’s awesome because you can do it as much or as little as you want/need!

• Reeni

March 27, 2017 at 12:49 pm

This is a great way to earn extra money! I have never heard of this service before. Thanks for sharing!

March 27, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Thanks, Reeni! 🙂

• Katie

March 27, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Interesting! I’ve never heard of that site before, but I’ll have to check it out. I’m always looking for other (flexible) ways to make a little extra cash!

March 27, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Thanks, Katie! One of the things I love most about Rev is that it’s so flexible!

• Neely Moldovan

March 27, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Oh how cool is this! I need to check this out!

March 27, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Definitely, Neely!

• Diana

March 27, 2017 at 2:57 pm

I’ve never heard of this! Great idea 🙂

March 27, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Thanks, Diana! 🙂

• Erin

March 27, 2017 at 6:01 pm

Interesting read! I had not thought of this as an easy way to make extra money.

March 27, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Thank you, Erin!

• Chelsea @ Mama Fish Saves

March 27, 2017 at 7:09 pm

What an incredible side hustle! I had never heard of Rev and now I really want to check it out! The pay per minute is actually pretty significant for a side hustle. Great find and thanks for sharing 🙂

March 27, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Thanks, Chelsea! I agree that the pay is pretty great for a side hustle! I hope it works out for you! 🙂

• Rose

March 27, 2017 at 8:44 pm

I am always looking for new side hustle opportunities, and Rev sounds great. I will definitely keep it in mind!

• Shani | Sunshine & Munchkins

March 27, 2017 at 8:50 pm

This sounds like a great opportunity! I am definitely going to look into it and see if it’s the right fit for me. 🙂 Thanks Abbey!

• Divya

March 28, 2017 at 7:22 am

This is really helpful to know. I live in a rural town and a lot of the medical school spouses haven’t been able to find work due to lack of opportunity. I am going to pass this along to them so at least they can find some way of making a small amount of income.

• Lisa

March 28, 2017 at 7:32 am

I’m going to have to give this a try! We’ve been looking for something I can do to help make a little extra money, and this just might be the thing! Thanks for sharing!

• Jennifer Corter

April 1, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Thank you so much for this blog post! I totally just took the transcription test, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed!