3 Easy Ways To Stay Healthy On Vacation

July 7, 2016

Behind living for Christ, living a healthy lifestyle is one of my greatest goals. God has gifted us with our bodies and we should take care of them. This includes healthy eating, being active, and staying well. At home, we have a routine, but the real struggle comes during vacation. For many people, myself included, vacation includes eating really good food, relaxing, and not worrying about life. Having a time to rest and recharge is needed, but it’s not a time to forget your healthy habits. Don’t worry, though; it’s easier than you think! Let me share with you 3 easy ways to stay healthy on vacation.

3 Easy Ways To Stay Healthy On Vacation

#1: Choose

Just like you would at home, choose healthy choices and choose moderation. This doesn’t mean you’re limited to an apple while everyone else is eating s’mores; you don’t have to be miserable to be healthy! When you go out to eat, you don’t have to eat a salad or grilled chicken every time. Have fun and try new foods, but do so in moderation. If you’re at the world’s best fried chicken joint, go for it. Eat some fried chicken, but maybe pair it with coleslaw or a side salad. When your kids want s’mores, jump right in! Have a s’more; just don’t have 17 s’mores. As long as you balance your somewhat unhealthy choices with healthy choices and eat everything in moderation, you’ll keep feeling great!

Is it possible to stay healthy on vacation and still have a great time? ABSOLUTELY! Click To Tweet

#2: Don’t Choose

Here’s what I mean. Just because the ice cream shop down the street has 27 different flavors DOES NOT mean that you have to go there 27 times to try every single flavor. Like I said, try new foods, but don’t go crazy. If you know that you won’t be able to control your choices when you go the Italian food restaurant, don’t go there, or go and have someone else order your food. Don’t make choices that are going to put you in a position to fall off the wagon, so to speak. If s’mores are your kryptonite, then grab a graham cracker and just walk away. If you are living a healthy lifestyle at home, you know what your weaknesses and temptations are. Don’t choose those on vacation just because you’re taking a “break” from reality.

So many amazing adventures this weekend with my best friend! 😘😍💕 Also, who knew there mountains in Oklahoma??

A post shared by Abbey Phipps (@smalltownsoulblog) on

#3: MOVE!

I’ve commented to my family before that I don’t know how people gain weight on vacation because I’m pretty sure I lose weight. The reason? We MOVE! My family vacations in the mountains, and we are very active. We walk around town, we hike up and down the mountain, we walk along the river … anything that gets us out of the cabin and on our feet, we’re in! A few times, we’ve even gone white water rafting! Whether you vacation in the mountains, at the beach, on a cruise ship, or in a castle, there are opportunities to move! Relaxing is what vacation is all about, but that doesn’t mean you have to sit on the couch all day. Go for a stroll along the beach. Play volleyball on the cruise ship. Scale the wall of the castle. 😉 Just make it a point to be active at least 60 minutes a day. This will keep your body in its normal rhythm and will keep you feeling good.

Stay healthy on vacation and come back feeling re-energized and ready to take on the world! Click To Tweet

I love vacation, but I hate coming back and feeling awful for a few days while I get back to my healthy lifestyle. But believe me, it is absolutely possible to have the time of your life on vacation and still come back feeling healthy, re-energized, and ready to take on the world! Make healthy choices and eat everything in moderation. Don’t choose to go for your temptation just because you’re on vacation. And most importantly, be active! Your body needs it and it will thank you for it! 🙂

Now it’s your turn. How do you stay healthy on vacation? What other tips and tricks help you feeling great?

Want to see more? Follow Small Town Soul on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and PinterestAnd don’t forget to share this with someone who would enjoy it! 🙂

• Emily @ Em Writes

July 7, 2016 at 11:51 am

Great tips! I was on vacation for most of June and I struggled with making healthy choices. Sometimes it’s hard, especially when you’re on the road for many hours! I usually just try to watch my portions and, when I can, choose the healthier option. For example, at McDonalds, I’ll get a fruit and yogurt parfait instead of the sausage McMuffin!

July 7, 2016 at 11:53 am

I totally agree, Emily! It is a struggle, especially when driving!! Portions and healthy choices are where it’s at! When we have to stop to eat somewhere, we try to stop at Subway or somewhere they offer mostly healthy options! It helps us make smart choices! 🙂

• Catherine

July 7, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Walking! This is why I love vacationing in large cities. I find it the hardest when we’re spending a lot of time in the car or possibly visiting family where you tend to spend time “hanging out”.

July 7, 2016 at 6:36 pm

YES! Perfect, Catherine! 🙂 We love walking, anywhere and everywhere on vacation! That is so hard when it’s a long trip, and you’re right about family! I love ’em, but I gotta move! 😉

• Friday Faves: All About Food – Small Town Soul

July 8, 2016 at 10:23 am

[…] week, we returned from vacation. You can read about how I stayed healthy on vacation by clicking on this post. I thought we would get back into a regular routine this week, but with Fourth of July, a surprise […]

• The Side Hustle That Pays For Our Groceries – Small Town Soul

July 19, 2016 at 1:38 pm

[…] I’ve mentioned before (here), living a healthy lifestyle is one of my top priorities, and Caleb agrees with that. Therefore, […]

• Healthy Living 101: 101 Ways To Lead A Healthy Lifestyle – Small Town Soul

August 1, 2016 at 8:00 am

[…] Related Post: 3 Easy Ways To Stay Healthy On Vacation […]

• Ty Rakestraw

August 3, 2016 at 11:41 pm

The best way to manage eating smaller meals more frequently is to learn to eat when you re hungry, stop eating when you re full and refrain from eating out of boredom or stress.

August 4, 2016 at 8:52 am

I totally agree, Ty! Thanks! 🙂

• How To Get Back To Healthy After The Holidays – Small Town Soul

January 12, 2017 at 8:00 am

[…] Related Post: 3 Easy Ways To Stay Healthy On Vacation […]

• Shaylynn @ Beneath the Cherry Tree

March 13, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Sweet Abbey! Where was this post for me in September? Haha! Our family went on a huge vacation to Florida for two weeks and I think I’m just now recovering to my pre-vacay state of being. These are such awesome tips and suggestions! I’ll definitely be making good use of them next time around!

March 16, 2017 at 10:07 am

Haha well thank you, Shaylynn! I hope it can be more helpful to you in the future! 🙂

• Leighann

March 13, 2017 at 3:21 pm

Yay! I love that you included move! When I was growing up, our vacations involved DOING things, while my friends would tell me that they just hung out on a cruise ship. I’m so thankful that we did activities though, because we got to experience so much!

March 16, 2017 at 10:08 am

Exactly, Leighann! Doing things is what makes vacations so much fun! 🙂

• Spry

March 13, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Great tips and nice pics. I’ve known lots of people to get sick while on vacation because they make bad food choices. It’s ok to steer off track a tiny pic, but not for your entire vacation. It’s no fun to be on vacation and feel miserable from eating “bad for you food”. Thank you for sharing.

March 16, 2017 at 10:08 am

You’re so right, Spry! We can splurge a little, but don’t go crazy! 🙂

• Devon

March 13, 2017 at 8:36 pm

These tips will come in handy when I’m moving my family across the country. I try to workout and eat healthy most days but moving really puts a wrench in things.

March 16, 2017 at 10:08 am

Moving does make it difficult, Devon, but you can do it! 🙂

• Robin

March 13, 2017 at 9:26 pm

I feel best on vacation because I eat food that I truly enjoy, then walk something like 10 miles a day exploring my surroundings! I recently started doing this in my own city and it’s made me so much happier and healthier – there’s something to be said for bringing vacation home!

March 16, 2017 at 10:09 am

That’s a wonderful tip, Robin, to continue that at home! I really enjoy doing the same on vacation! 🙂

• Summer @ Coffee With Summer

March 13, 2017 at 11:41 pm

Staying moving is such a great tip, even for a relaxing vacation!

March 16, 2017 at 10:10 am

You’re so right, Summer! 🙂

• Erica @ Coming Up Roses

March 14, 2017 at 10:51 am

We love going on long walks together on vacations – great way to get moving while still exploring the area!

Coming Up Roses