My husband is a filmmaker, and we love movies, but it can be hard to find a movie that’s clean, family-friendly, and not super cheesy! However, we feel that as Christians, we need to prioritize our faith over our entertainment, so we make it our goal to search out and find these movies! It’s not easy, but it’s definitely worth it! Interested? Scroll down for a list of 8 family-friendly, non-cheesy Christian movies, and I’ll even tell you why you need to see each of them!
- God’s Not Dead 2: I was not a fan of the first God’s Not Dead, because it was just too cheesy! But as a former teacher, this sequel hits close to home. It’s well-made, has great acting, and tackles real issues in a powerful way.
- Alone Yet Not Alone: Based on a true story and set during the French and Indian War, it’s a movie about daughters who are taken from their home by Indians. This is an intense and emotional film, but it is also a beautiful story of God’s love and faithfulness.
- Woodlawn: This is another true story, set in Birmingham in the 1970s. It’s about a football team that experiences a true revival in their school. Sean Astin stars in it, and my favorite line is, “This is what happens God shows up.” This is a powerful film, especially good for teenage boys.
- Polycarp: Polycarp was a 2nd century martyr, and this is his story. He befriends an adopted slave girl and as he teaches her about Christ, his faith is put to test. As he stands for Christ, she must decide what she believes. It’s a great story, and the movie is extremely well-made.
Woodlawn, Polycarp, and more non-cheesy, family-friendly Christian movies made this list! Click To Tweet
- War Room: The main message of this movie is the power of prayer, and believe me, they demonstrate POWER in prayer! But they also work in some hilarious moments, and I think that makes it even better!
- Jonah: Yes, the old Veggietales movie. My husband and I sat down and watched this a few months ago, and even as 20-somethings, we really enjoyed it! It has some great life lessons, tells the story of Jonah very well, and is actually really funny!
- Mom’s Night Out: This is one of my favorite movies of all time. It shows the realness of families and the struggles that moms fight against. It’s also absolutely HILARIOUS and is sure to keep the whole family entertained!
- Ben-Hur (2016): This is a remake of the 1959 film. It’s an awesome story of forgiveness, family, and the love of Christ. It’s one of my husband’s favorite movies, and I have to agree! (*note: the chariot race scene contains intensity that may not be appropriate for very young viewers.)
With a little one on the way, Caleb and I have started paying even more attention to the movies that we watch, and each of these has our seal of approval. They’re all appropriate for the whole family, but they aren’t so cheesy that it’s painful to watch. 😉 If you’re needing some new ideas for movie night, you can’t go wrong with any of these! 🙂
Now it’s your turn. Have you seen any of these? What did you think of them? What are favorite family-friendly, non-cheesy Christian movies?